Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bad is Better

A lot of us are thinking back on the soundtrack of our younger years today with great fondness. I cannot tell you how many laps around the skating rink were accompanied by the funk and freak of MJ and Vincent Price. But as I really look at the King of Pop's discography, it becomes clear that the followup to Thriller was at least slightly superior. The scope of both albums is vast (from Beat it to The Girl is Mine and Smooth Criminal to The Way You Make Me Feel). He was just as rock as he was soul - that is what pop meant when he was king.

But if I had to choose to just have one album, Bad wins. Dirty Diana may not be Darling Nikki, but it's pretty freakin' good. Man in the Mirror is actually still a little moving to me. And Smooth Criminal may be my all time favorite MJ song AND video. Yup. Bad wins.

And I think I'd be okay without ever hearing P.Y.T again. Or ever seeing the Say Say Say video (I know it isn't on Thriller, but it deserves a pan).

No comments: