Monday, November 9, 2009

Civility of Children

My in-laws have in their dining area an 11x17 of this poster except it says "You Lie" at the bottom in homage to the "patriotic act" of some knuckleheaded junior congressman. I got to stare at it all night as I ate the most delicious prime rib.
After dinner, E picked it up and said condemningly, "This is not funny." An adult retorted smugly, "You're right. It isn't." I am so proud of my little girl and sad for that adult. I am not proud that she stuck up for Obama's politics or beliefs. I don't expect her or any 3rd grader to understand or have a political opinion or affiliation. I am proud that she somehow at age 8 sees the disrespect of it all. I would hope she would have reacted the same when Bush was being raked over the coals.

There is truly little civility left in the world, and even less in politics. I pray that she can hold firm to her developing personal convictions with the due respect of people and position in the midst of extremists on both sides who would rather blindly identify with a network, party or dogma than consider the merits in the many sides of any public debate. And I hope she never forgets that behind every belief, there is a child of God.

No comments: