Sunday, April 12, 2009

Shattered Dreams

I can't believe I did it. I have never broken her heart like this. Nobody had. The shock and pain washed over her face leaving a flood of tears as lasting proof. I thought she knew. I assumed she at least suspected.

But she didn't. She was floating along in that childlike wonder believing all was just as I had said. One sentence. Six little words formed a statement that would forever change our worlds.

It is my fault. I led her to believe this fairy tale. I was the one who told her it was true. But, how could she not have known? It was obviously too good to be true. I mean, seriously, a rabbit who can carry enough candy to supply all the children in the world? It's absurd.

But it was her reality. And it has been shattered and forever reformed. She's a little bit wiser, a little less naive.

And isn't that what Easter is really all about?

No comments: