Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I hope to have one every day.

We picked up E from camp with a k on Monday. I don't really want to go into all my impressions of campwithak. I may or may not do that later. She had a blast. She was immediately talking about wanting to stay for a full month next year. She won an award for being the hardest worker in tennis, her area of concentration. She also informed me that she had accepted Christ into her heart. I have very mixed emotions about this. On one level I am extremely happy that she is understanding more about the relational nature of Christianity. (side note: one kid had on a shirt that read "it's against my relationship to have a religion." i want that shirt.) On the other hand, I am not sure of the evangelical understanding of conversion. My favorite quote on this comes from Rich Mullins. When asked when he had his salvation experience, he replied, (paraphrased) "I hope to have one every day." A daily commitment. That is what I strive and fall way short of on many days in all my relationships. Without it, my marriage is susceptible. I am not as good a father as I could be. I don't study as well as I should. I forget to call old friends or spend time with those around me. My idea of commitment and understanding of God is so different now than when I first learned of who God is and what Christ means in relation to us. When I used to 'preach', I used to say that being a Christian is giving as much as you know of you to as much as you know about God.

1 comment:

Neil Hoppe said...

Dude...thank you.

My oldest is saying the same thing, and I feel the same way.

I've think about this all the time.

But you said it right.

(p.s. my word verification was almost a word--all the consonants and vowels were in the right place, it just wasn't a word...)